Politics

Invitations to Downing Street flat party went out ‘across Whitehall’, claims Cummings


Dominic Cummings – who quit as a top adviser the same day – said the event had been an “organised party” for which their had been formal invitations. London was under Tier 3 restrictions at the time

Invitations to a party in Boris Johnson’s flat while London was under Covid restrictions went out ‘across Whitehall’, Dominic Cummings has claimed.

The Prime Minister on Wednesday denied a party had taken place in his residence above 11 Downing Street on November 13, while London was in Tier 3 restrictions.

But Mr Cummings, who quit his job as one of Mr Johnson’s most senior advisers the same day, today accused the PM of lying about the soiree.

He said the event had been an “organised” party, for which there had been formal invitations.

Mr Cummings was asked about the party during a Q&A on his £10-a-month Substack website.

Asked about PM’s claim there was “no” party in the flat on November 13, Mr Cummings wrote: “Obv he was lying”.

He went on: “There were invites sent across Whitehall, it was an organised party.

“[Johnson] know[s] this and tried to lie his way out, but was f****d by the video.”







The flat above Number 11 Downing Street, where Boris and Carrie Johnson live
(

Image:

Ian Vogler / Daily Mirror)

The video in question was a leaked clip of former Johnson spokesperson Allegra Stratton joking about a later party in Number 10, on December 18.

Earlier, Mr Cummings tweeted: “There’s lots of pictures of the parties which will inevitably get out. And invite lists beyond No10 to other departments.”

And he had referred to reporting published at the time that there had been a “victory party” in Downing Street following Mr Cummings’ leaving No10.

On November 14 2020, the Mail on Sunday reported claims there had been “boisterous” gathering in the flat, as allies of Carrie Johnson celebrated his departure.

Allies of Mrs Johnson – then Ms Symonds – denied the reports at the time.







Boris Johnson insists no party took place in his home
(

Image:

Getty Images)

And asked whether the party took place at PMQs on Wednesday, Mr Johnson said: “No.”

Yesterday, it was confirmed that as well as investigating the party held in Number 10 on December 18, a second gathering on Novmeber 27 would also be subject to a probe by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case.

Tory Minister Michael Ellis told MPs that the investigation will “establish the facts around” events alleged to have taken place in Downing Street on November 27 and December 18.

It will also look at a gathering at the Department for Education on December 10.

All three events – which sources said took place despite Covid restrictions – were first revealed by the Mirror.

The Prime Minister finally apologised on Wednesday after a clip emerged of his own staff joking about a “not socially distanced” bash on December 18 last year.

He announced a probe into the event by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case – but his spokesman confirmed that inquiry will only cover the events of December 18 last year.

But Mr Ellis said on Thursday that it would cover allegations of a second No10 event on November 27 – during a national lockdown – where sources claimed Mr Johnson addressed a leaving do.

Last night new polling gave Labour a six point lead over the Tories, as revelations over rule-breaking Christmas parties and sleaze hit Mr Johnson in the polls.

An exclusive survey, conducted by Survation on December 1, after the Mirror’s bombshell story about No 10’s lockdown-breaking festive knees-up, sees support for Labour soar to 40% (+1%) while the Conservatives slump to 34%.

It represents a breakthrough for Keir Starmer as it is the highest poll lead for his party since Boris Johnson took power.

Read More

Read More





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *